Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Saying Good Bye to Summer Fun

Summer officially ends on September 21, but  Labor Day weekend signifies the end of the summer season because it is the last big holiday weekend of the summer.   Gone are the hot summer days spent working in the yard, going camping, swimming, and taking early morning walks.  Gone also are the long summer evenings spent sitting on the porch swing while the children play night games with their friends. This always makes me feel quite melancholy. This Labor Day weekend was no exception. I was feeling a little blue.

I woke up today to a cool fall morning and was surprised to find that I was actually feeling a little bit of excitement. The crisp air made me want to start a fire in the fireplace to sit by while we enjoyed a cup of coffee.  It made me want to set out all of my fall decorations and turn on my Scentsy warmer to make my home smell like cinnamon and cloves. I realized that, even though, I love summer TREMENDOUSLY, the change of the season can be very invigorating and give a jump start to the soul.

I started thinking of all the wonderful things that Autumn brings that I don't get to enjoy any other time of the year. I  remembered how much I love feeling the cool breezes that comes through my bedroom window at night, and the wind blowing through my hair when I go for a walk. I thought about how exhilarating it is to sit under the quaking aspen trees and watch their golden leaves glisten in the sunlight as the branches blow in the wind before the leaves break off, swirl in the breeze and fall to the ground. I could almost smell the aromatic scent of the forest that is a mixture of the wild flowers and plants drying in the fields and the leaves that are starting to decay on the ground. It made me feel refreshed!

So, I guess the time has come to trade in my shorts for long pants, my flip flops for shoes and socks, and my sleeveless shirts for long sleeves and jackets. I will set aside my long summer nights, and enjoy wrapping in a light blanket while gazing at the beautiful Harvest moon.  People say, "All good things must come to and end". I say, "It isn't the end. It is just the beginning of a new, wonderful season in my life".  I am ready to continue on my life's journey!

~Elizabeth



No comments:

Post a Comment