Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

Last night I watched the Adjustment Bureau. Matt Damon is the lead actor. I have to say, it was a movie I thoroughly enjoyed! I highly recommend it. In fact, I'll probably buy it.
Why was it so good? Well, the story itself was original and new. My husband and I predict movies when we watch them (I did predict a part of this... yes I'm very proud of myself), but we only do it because most movies are generic and easily predictable (granted, romantic comedies are the worst offenders in this, but still...). This story was not predictable. We're going along, getting into the story, and BAM, something strange happens. Ummm, did this just happen? I had to ask. Yep. He rewound the movie and, sure enough, it had. It was a happy little twist in the movie and it set us off on a path of the movie we hadn't quite anticipated.
Now, keep in mind, that I knew nothing about this movie. I'd seen the previews, but they really didn't give much away. So I was pleasantly surprised to watch a movie that I couldn't predict the whole way through. It kept me on the edge and kept me guessing. Yep. I liked it.
The second reason I liked this movie, and this reason is kinda huge, is because the theme it was woven around was agency. Agency! It was about making your own choices and having the freedom to make those choices. I have to say, I am a huge fan of agency, of that right we all have to make our own decisions. I tend to be passionate about that particular gift we've been given, particularly when I see another person's agency being stolen or taken by somebody else, so I was very happy to find a whole movie with a great plot that revolves around agency.

Yeah, go watch it. And after you do, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment