Friday, June 3, 2011

In the Blinking of an Eye

When children are born, parents have the false impression that they have all kinds of time to enjoy these precious little souls that they love so much. There is plenty of time for rocking, reading and playing games. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Time flies by so quickly, that they are grown before they know it.

A few weeks ago, one of my daughters got married. Even though she is my fourth child to be married, it was an emotional time for me.  I just wasn't ready to let her go. I was also blessed, during that same week, with a new grandbaby. A beautiful baby girl.  These two events took me on a trip down memory lane.  I wrote this poem while I was reflecting on my children, wondering how the time had passed so quickly.  I hope it gives all parents who read it, the boost they need to remember to hug your children a little tighter, play with them a little longer, and enjoy them while they are still at home.


In the Blinking of an Eye


In the blinking of an eye, nine months have passed.
My precious baby girl is here at last.
I'm happy to put away my maternity clothes
And replace them with dresses, booties and bows.
As I feed her, bathe her and snuggle her near,
I wonder what she'll be like in the coming years.

In the blinking of an eye, she has grown to a girl.
She loves to wear dresses with skirts that will twirl.
The music turns on, she dances with her friends.
They giggle and laugh even after the song ends.
Playing dress up and barbies also adds to the fun.
The joy she brings me is like the warmth of the sun.

In the blinking of an eye, my daughter is a teen.
Her dresses are replaced with stilettos and jeans.
She loves to wear make up in colors galore
and hang pictures of friends on her bedroom door.
I'm delighted to see how beautiful she's grown,
But I dread the day she moves out on her own.

In the blinking of an eye, there's a handsome young man.
He comes to my house every chance that he can.
Before I know it, the big question he's popped.
Their love for each other just couldn't be stopped.
I want to hug her tightly and always keep her near.
Helping her start a new life makes me shed a few tears.

In the blinking of an eye, nine months have past.
My precious grand daughter is here at last,
This gift is so priceless, I think with a smile.
Seeing her tiny face made my tears worthwhile.
I hug my daughter and help out where I can,
Then thank my dear Lord for His all perfect plan!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment